The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S Lens is the first of its kind to be equipped with two stepping autofocus motors (STMs). This lens delivers nothing short of excellence and the highest level of optical performance of the Nikon S-Line lenses.
Built around the revolutionary Z mount system, extraordinary full-scale imaging expression comes easy, so you can enjoy utmost clarity and beautiful f/1.2 bokeh for portraiture. Draw out raw emotion with the same quick and precise autofocus (AF) performance in both stills and videos. Its incredible speed and accuracy is perfect for fashion, wedding and street photography â when lifeâs fleeting moments need to be captured in full flight.
An all-new ultra-symmetrical lens structure has been made possible by adopting the Z mount systemâs 55mm large diameter and 16mm short flange distance. Now, achieving superior point image reproduction is just that easy. But thatâs not all, nail every scene regardless of the lighting scenario â thanks to the employment of Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat that effectively minimises ghosting and flares.
Key Features of the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S Lens
- Bright normal-length prime is designed for FX-format Z-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Impressively bright f/1.2 maximum aperture excels in low lighting conditions and also offers extensive control over depth of field.
- Three aspherical elements are used to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion in order to realize sharp imagery with accurate rendering.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce colour fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and colour rendering.
- ARNEO and Nano Crystal Coats are used to prevent ghosting, reflections, and flare in order to realize improved contrast and clarity when working in strong lighting and backlit conditions. The Nano Crystal Coat controls incidental light from a diagonal direction while the ARNEO Coat controls incidental light from a vertical direction. A Super Integrated Coating is also featured on multiple elements to help ensure consistently accurate colours.
- Multi-focus system incorporates two separate AF drive units, which are synchronized, to deliver especially fast and accurate focusing performance.
- Programmable Control Ring is, by default, set to adjust manual focus, but can also be used to control aperture or exposure compensation.
- Integrated OLED lens information panel allows you to quickly confirm aperture setting, focus distance, and depth of field figures right on the lens in both bright and dark situations.
- Assignable L.Fn button works in conjunction with camera-based Fn buttons to provide a seamless point for quickly changing exposure settings and other functions.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant lens barrel benefits the lens' use in inclement conditions.
Optics Optimised for Bokeh
With a wide f/1.2 aperture, you can achieve beautiful circular bokeh thatâs easy on the eyes with minimal colour fringing around the edges. Let your primary subject stand out clearly with the lensâ shallow depth of field for a stunning three-dimensional effect. When you want to change it up, enjoy the same extraordinary expression and performance in videos.
NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S Optical Construction:
- 17 elements in 15 groups including:
- 2 ED elements,
- 3 aspherical elements,
- and elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO coatings
Fast, accurate and smooth â enjoy all three when it comes to the AF performance of the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S. More motors, more precision focusing, and a brand new multi-focusing system that allows for fast and accurate AF, even with a shallow depth of field.
This unprecedented AF system takes on a whole other level when paired with your cameraâs Eye-Detection AF. Youâll be able to effortlessly ensure highly precise focusing on your subjectâs eyes, meeting all your portraiture needs.
Form Follows Function
Anticipate your next move at every turn. All it takes is a simple click to assign a function through the lens function (L-Fn) button, and a swift glance confirms the lens information on the information panel without having to look through the cameraâs viewfinder. Complete with an electromagnetic aperture mechanism, you can now be in precise aperture control, even with continuous shooting.
Dust- and drip- resistance*
No matter the weather, focus on your craft and carry on with your creative pursuits from the lensâ superior dust- and drip-resistant performance, and rubber sealing around the lens mount. All to effectively repel dust and water droplets, so you can clean your lens with ease.
Enjoy video recording with the same superior optical performance you get in stills. Capture every candid moment unnoticed, with the lensâ quiet operation that minimises unnecessary operation sounds. The focus breathing support allows you to record videos with reduced changes in the angle of view that can sometimes occur when focusing. Adapt seamlessly to changes in lighting as you move from one scene to another and enjoy smooth aperture control with a simple twist of the button-less control ring.